Hallmarked in London 1890, 1 pint Sterling Silver, straight sided, ribbed beer Mug.
Maker: Charles Boyton II
The activity was founded by Charles Boyton who was apprenticed in 1807 to William Seaman, Hull’s Street, St. Luke’s. He registered his first hallmark at the London Assay Office in 1825 (free in 1827). The workshop was active at 12 Europia Place, moving in 1830 to Wellington Street, St. Luke’s. Further marks were entered in 1830, 1833, 1834 and 1838.
From c.1849 the firm operated at Northampton Square, Clerkenwell (c. 1849-1904) under the management of Charles Boyton II (son of the founder, died 1899) and Charles Holman Boyton (grandson, died 1904).
In 1894 the business changed its title to Charles Boyton & Son and in 1919 to Charles Boyton & Son Ltd.
In the last period Charles Boyton (III) (son of C.H. Boyton) acted as governing director and the firm was active as wholesale manufacturer of silver and electroplate. The firm encountered economic difficulties and in 1933 a new company was created, entitled Charles Boyton & Son Ltd (active at Wardour Street from 1936 until 1977).
In 1934 Charles Boyton (III) left the firm and opened his own business at 114 Marylebone Lane with retail premises at 98 Wigmore Street. His production in Art Deco style was engraved with a facsimile of his signature. The activity closed after 1948.
Charles Boyton c. 1825-1894
Charles Boyton & Son 1894-1919
Charles Boyton & Son Ltd 1919 – 1933
Charles Boyton & Son Ltd (new company) 1936-1977
Charles Boyton (III) 1934 – after 1948
Information sourced: www.silvercollection.it