Hallmarked in London 1873, this 19th Century Sterling Silver, raised, circular plain dish, the border elaborately decorated in Neo-Classical form, comprising of fine beads, the curved lip with a shaped linked edge and chased acanthus leaves onto a reeded background. Engraved with 2 sets of entwined cyphers of previous owners
Weight: 949 grams
Stock ref: 06-35-025
The company originally founded by Paul Storr in 1819 when he left Rundell & Bridge to go in partnership with John Mortimer. John Samuel Hunt joined the company after his apprenticeship with Paul Storr and took his place after he retired in 1838, changing the name of the company to Mortimer and Hunt. In 1843 John Mortimer retired and the firm became finally Hunt and Roskell. At that time it counted three partners: John Samuel Hunt, his son and Robert Roskell Jr. (son of a watchmaker from Liverpool).
Based in Bond Street, London and gained in the late 1840’s, the Royal Warrant of Queen Victoria.
Creating large ornate centrepieces, tea sets, candelabra and elaborate jewellery, they worked with the Imperial Russian Court, commissioning several pieces.
Their Silverware is often naturalistically modelled and exquisitely detailed, decorated with foliate motifs and scrolling patterns.
The firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace in London in 1851
After the death of John Hunt and Robert Ruskell, their sons kept running the business.
The company became a Limited company and survived until the late 1960’s.